Saturday, June 8, 2013

Displacements

Saturday, June 8, 2013
Not sure what's the meaning as I wiki-ed this word, there are a lot of definitions and most of them are quite complex, which I do not want to further discuss anymore.

As we know,
Replace is to place something on a same spot that something had been removed
Misplace is we forgot where is that something had gone.
But displace.... sounds weird. But it has a great meaning and a story behind this art exhibition.

On 8/6/2013, I went to this exhibition in Singapore, at Mount Sophia.
A mansion called the Wilkie Terrace is going to tear down soon for future development projects. Therefore, 16 artists were there to display some artwork that able to shout the message of embracing new cultures while still remembering the original ones, in terms of geographical or historical.

It has a very meaningful story or message behind this exhibition. It is also a great scene to see artists gather around, standing on the same line to shout the message to the public. To this point, what really moves me is, I really feel that Art is alive.

Though Im not an expert to really understand all the messages from the artwork. But I like one of the artist using Red Beans (Saga Beans 相思豆)  to create a potrait of a snake. Snake might be resemblance of the Snake year this year and the beans are all marked with numbers. According to the description, the numbers are all represented by a story behind. There were a lot of beans and it is meant to take one and pass it down. To connect the memories for all generations.

The volunteers are very friendly. They have a merchandise area where a lot of antique is selling at a donation price. I got myself a crystal-like shaped candle lamp. Its super antique and according to one of the volunteer, the lamp was from Italy and was traded during the journey on Silk Road.

I love this visit, I love the people, I love the artwork, I love the spirit.  

0 comments:

 
Secrets beyond towers... ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates